Tuesday 19 June 2012

Miserable Broad Beans



 These are the broad beans I planted at the begining of March. As you see, they're a fraction of the size they ought to be, owing to the dismal weather. I put in seven varieties; the tougher ones have survived well, and are flowering well considering their size. The weaker have done nothing but sulk. A lot were finished off by slugs, but every variety has produced at least a couple of plants with flowers. So the plan is to save seed from every one. The stronger varieties have the bulk of the flowers, so everything can be expected to have crossed with them. Next year's seed should preserve 90-odd percent of each genotype, while at the same time hopefully being tougher, which is one of the characteristics I'm looking for. I'll add a couple more varieties to the mix, save seed, and comtinue the process the followint year. Meanwhile, I'll have at least some beans to eat!


A dog rose in the hedge. 



A Small Copper butterfly sunning itself when the yellow god in the sky made a brief appearance.

1 comment:

  1. I just happened across your blog. I find your articles interesting and I love your photos. My blog has the same title. Somewhat like yours but more personal. If you are of a mind to look in on my blog it is http://brain-echos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete